Recent Posts

• Reply to: Hiking with Dogs   14 years 11 months ago
    Paul, thanks for sharing. Just curious - does your dog stay in the tent with you guys and do you ever use a crate?
    Thanks, Estelle. We use once-a-month topicals on our dogs, but I think we'll take your advice and also bring some spray whenever we head out with our dogs.

email me off list for further information re hiking w dogs in this area. i do it daily.   susan   [email protected]

• Reply to: Trail Conditions Forum   14 years 11 months ago
    The trails in Norvin Green are pretty tame and in some sections a 'walk in the park". I think haveing the small challenges lke this section is worht keepin. Placing a structure like a ladder would pose additional challenges, mainly the monitoring of its condition and in the event it becomes unusable, what then? Close the trail.
  • Reply to: Hike Recommendations   14 years 11 months ago
    Hello all! Although an experienced hiker, the Catskill area is new to me. I have some friends coming in and I would like to find a location to hike to for some back country camping. Since we only have three days at our disposal, I was wondering if anybody knew of a good place within a day's hike to camp in proximity to a waterfall. Ideally, I would like to guide my friends to a pretty place with water where we could spend a full day hanging out. One day's hike (with time to set up camp and hide food from bears) back and forth would be fine for us. Any suggestions? Thank you all in advance.
    Great article online and in print. Good coverage for the Trail Conference. http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/05/08/travel/escapes/08njhike.html?scp=1&...
    My wife and I have hiked and camped with our dog both in parks and on the Appalachian Trail. I think the longest we were ever out with our dog was about 5 days. We almost always had him on leash both for his own protection as well as for other hikers. A Flexi-lead works really well so that you can adjust it's length for conditions you encounter. Also, be willing to tailor the length and speed of your hike according to your dogs ability. I'm sure there's more, but that's what comes to mind now.

Hi,  welcome to the Trail Conference.  Hopefully we are a good resource for you and dog.

Please check "Go Hiking" then Find a Park,  each area below tells you if dogs are permitted. I think you'll find dogs are okay nearly everywhere, as long as they are kept on leash.   Some NJ and NY parks allow camping, you can check those individually to be sure the dog is okay.     I'm sure others will answer you as to gear, etc.      We are finding ticks particularly bad this year, so be sure spray your dog and check after hikes, that goes for the humans too!

Hello. My husband and I are new to the trail conference, and while we've found the website to be really helpful, we'd like to start hiking/camping with our 2 dogs and don't see too much information about this on the site. Does anyone have any good suggestions for which trails/parks are best for car camping, or have any general hiking experiences/tips they wouldn't mind sharing? We'd love to hear what other members have experienced with their dogs out on the trail (i.e. whether any trails go through areas with lots of ticks, what kind of pet packs work best, etc.). Thanks!
    Thanks for the tips, both of you. I spoke with Michelle at the Village of Ellenville and was informed there's no regulation against parking overnight at Berme Road Park, but it's "at your own risk." I'll let you know how it goes.